yeah seriously tell us how wizardry’s done in the new world tell me how the wizards from france and spain and britain stamped out the brujos and the medicine men and set up their own schools tell me what the fuck the british raj did to fucking india because the patel twins are going to school in scotland and what are they told about their history, tell me about native american kids learning to say wingardium leviosa with hate in their hearts and tell me about wizarding rabbis bickering about whether you can use potions on the sabbath tell me about the slaves on their ships with their wands broken, mouthing curses in the dark tell me about the runaways that made it with garter snakes wrapped around their wrists that told them when they tasted dogs in the distance, tell me about the underground railroad and abolitionists with unbreakable vows and home-spun invisibility cloaks and disilusionments, using obliviate, using imperio, knowing that they served a higher justice, tell me about what happened to black wizards in the fifties, about what gates they were storming in the sixties tell me about queer wizards taking love potions every morning in their coffee to stay married to their husbands and their wives because what else could they do?
the world only begins and ends with straight white christians if you don’t bother looking any farther than that and too many people don’t and i am tired, tired, tired
Harry Potter as a teen comedy.
Evidence that music placement is very important.
I swear I watch this every time it comes on my dash.
Imagine drunk Ravenclaws trying to invent things
"No but imagine a machine that makes your toast or maybe waffles warm and crispy!" "There already is something like that, it’s called a toaster and some muggle invented it I think?" "Seriously?? Wow..okay but imagine animals bringing letters and stuff! No wait..we already have that too dammit.."
Ravenclaws trying to invent things that already exist in the muggle world oh my gosh
- fandom please I implore you all to talk about Dean Thomas more
- literally yelling for a red card during a Quidditch match
- painting a potter for president banner for his friend HOW CUTE
- offering to forge a signature so that same friend could go to the village with the rest of them
- actually he paints banners supporting Harry on two separate occasions four years apart
- is it weirder that he keeps doing that or that Harry keeps getting himself into situations where he requires banners
- good with a quill be still my beating heart the boy is an artist
- literally not giving a single fuck that their teacher was a “dangerous half-breed” because he respected the hell out of him as a person and educator
- IF YOU MEAN PROFESSOR LUPIN, HE WAS THE BEST WE EVER -
- and he grew up as a muggle so he had already been exposed to werewolf folklore and he had every excuse to be afraid or prejudiced and instead decided to judge him on a human level, even without the familiarity the trio etc. had to him
- standing up for that same teacher time and time again
- including to a ministry official who he just generally gave the sass to anyway
- never losing his faith in Harry even when his very best friend in the whole world and approximately 89% of the wizarding community basically thought the bloke was a nutjob
- convincing his best mate to join DA
there was a fair bit of an anti-dean sentiment in HBP best to ignore that then
- never having any animosity towards his friend for getting together with his ex-girlfriend so soon
- completely supporting and defending Harry while on the run because OBVIOUSLY why stop now after seven years of doing literally that at every single opportunity
- being completely bemused by but always kind towards Luna
- helping to dig the grave on the beach
- running out into the final battle without a fucking wand
- evidently winning one at some point
- everything to do with him and Seamus however you want to view their relationship but frankly I could do a whole other post on that
also I met Alfie once and he was so pretty
- dEAN THOMAS
can you imagine Oliver having to show up at quidditch trials and say ‘anyone who’s here to try out for seeker better go back up to the castle because an 11 year old boy rode a broom for the first time today and McGonagall gave him the seeker position before asking me or letting me see him play sorry guys’
okay, most of what i do re: harry potter is criticism, and hp is flawed in such a number of ways, but sometimes i just sit here and
i mean, you all have a comprehension of just how drastically harry potter changed literature, yeah? like. it revitalized it. it blew the literary scene apart. the new york times had to create a separate bestseller’s list for children’s lit just because harry potter existed. harry potter changed reading.
so many people on tumblr were born in the ’90s. when the first book came out, most of us couldn’t read. but we grew up in a world where everyone, everyone, everyone was reading harry potter, no matter how old they were; we grew up in a world where the most popular story in the entire world was a fantasy children’s book.
it’s sort of difficult to grasp, sometimes, the extent to which harry potter is not just a book. the extent to which what is basically a series of fun, interesting, and fairly good novels is such an enormous, enormous part of our lives, a cultural touchstone, a truly universal reference point, something so many people have shaped their lives around, a foundation for all of the stories we would read and watch for the rest of our lives— for so many of us, the first books we ever loved
the extent to which so many of us can’t call ourselves “fans” of harry potter, because it would like being a “fan” of, like, having lungs.
it’s not even about liking it or disliking it. it’s just a part of us.
The Harry Potter epilogue takes place in 2017, which means not only have those kids already seen Pacific Rim, but they have been subjected to Pacific Rim 2.
this is probably what “all was well” was referring to.
#harry and hermione both grew up as muggles you know they took their kids to see muggle movies#hermione probably owns an ipad#albus and lily are drift compatible#there are rousing debates about if magic could be used through jaegers#and luna insists that the kaiju were just magical creatures mutated by evil magic#hermione starts caculating the possibility of alternate dimensions#ron and ginny fight over who would be drift compatible with harry#rose and hugo start devising ways a giant jaeger wand could be constructed#james’ crush on idris elba doesnt die down for months#”albus severus you were named after the two bravest men i ever knew. but neither were was brave as mako mori”#”the scar had not pained harry in nineteen years and the bluray version of pacific rim 2 had just come into stores that day. all was well”
everyone’s always going on about pureblood and muggleborn culture in hogwarts but what about the halfbloods
they’re the ones who know all the lyrics to the weird sisters songs and bastille songs they crush on the chosen one and tom hiddleston they go to both walt disney world and the quidditch world cup final for summer holiday and use magic to fix their laptops they’ve got the best of both worlds
no but bi harry deliberately fucking with ron like they’re at christmas dinner or w/e and harry just goes “you know ron i’m in love with your sister and everything but if bill was single…goddamn. i’d go there”
bill winks across the table at harry
"GODDAMN IT YOU CAN’T TAKE ALL MY SIBLINGS, HARRY."
"Don’t worry, Ron, you can keep Percy."
I love how J.K. Rowling can release a Harry Potter story seven years after the series’s conclusion and it will still dominate headlines, prompt actual serious news articles about the wizarding world in real life newspapers, and break down the internet
Georges son calls from Hogwarts on the first day of school terrified and keeps asking if George is okay, he reassures him that everything is alright but asks why he would ask that. Georges son explains that he thought he had died because he could have sworn he had seen a ghost that looked just like him joking around with the older students
STOP THIS RIGHT NOW
have you READ THEM
aren’t they adorable
i want to go to hogwarts
FRICKLE FRACKLE MUGGLEBORNS ARE ADORABLE
so sometimes i think about harry potter being in the aurors and like
he’d never really thought about child protective services, muggle or otherwise, cause it’d never been relevant, right? like when he was a miserable kid he just thought that was what it was like…
I have this Really Important headcanon that after the war, Harry takes Grimmauld Place and converts it into a children’s home for Hogwarts students who can’t or shouldn’t or don’t want to go back home for the summer holidays because of Serious Reasons because like. if he…